Last week I saw the movie An Education with Alison. I wanted to see it because 1. I like Peter Sarsgaard. 2. I like seeing little indie movies. Especially British ones. 3. NICK HORNBY IS GOD.

For those of you who didn't know Nick Hornby is God, you're welcome.

Do you not know who Nick Hornby is? (If this is true, you are clearly no friend of mine). He is a British author. A brilliant author. You may recognize some of his titles... High Fidelity, About A Boy, Fever Pitch... those ring any bells? Probably, since they've all been turned into high grossing, well received movies. (And one into a not so high grossing, very poorly received musical). Other books of his to check out? How to Be Good, Slam, and A Long Way Down. The latter is on it's way to becoming a movie - Johnny Depp purchased the rights to it right after it was released.

I've been a fan of his ever since my sophomore year of high school when I picked up his book High Fidelity at Sherman's Bookstore in Bar Harbor. I knew and liked the movie, and figured I might as well read the book. And then I read it 5 more times. And then I bought all the other books of his I could find.

Anyway, Nick Hornby penned the screenplay for An Education. His first screenplay, amazingly enough. I was curious not only because I love him, but to see how his style translated on screen. Given that almost all of his books have become movies, I figured this wouldn't be too big of a leap for him. And I was right. The movie is brilliant. And I highly recommend finding whatever little indie theater you have near you and watching it. Carey Mulligan and Peter Sarsgaard are picking up award nominations for this one, I can tell you that much. And hopefully so will Hornby.

But, here is my REAL point. There are a number of his books that I DO NOT OWN. Seriously.

And I now present to you The List. The List will be good to keep on hand if you ever need to purchase something for me for any gift giving holiday.



The List: Nick Hornby Publications I Do Not Own

Novels
Juliet, Naked (His latest novel)

Short Stories
Not a Star (Open Door) (For sure available on Amazon)
Faith (Not sure this is sold anywhere)
Otherwise Pandemonium (On Amazon through private sellers - wasn't sold in the US, I don't think)

Non-Fiction
Songbook (Collection of essays)
The Pollysyllabic Spree (Collection of columns)
Housekeeping Vs. The Dirt (Collection of columns)
Shakespeare Wrote for Money (Collection of columns)
31 Songs (Collection of essays)

Anthologies He Edited and Contributed To
Speaking with the Angel
My Favourite Year: A Collection of Football Writing
The Picador Book of Sportswriting
The United States of McSweeney's (I don't think is sold in the US)

Screenplays
An Education



...Yeah, I didn't say it was a short list. But it can provide you with gift ideas for YEARS to come! I will always be satisfied! Just... double check with other people who read this blog so I don't get 4 copies of Juliet, Naked. That would be weird.

*K

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum