A little over a week ago, I attended a rally in Midtown for marriage equality. It was inspiring and motivating, and sad and powerful. I wrote the following e-mail the my district senator the next day:

Senator Krueger,

I know you've probably been flooded with e-mails and phone calls concerning this issue. If not, I hope to be the first. Or, at least the first e-mail that is PRO SAME-SEX MARRIAGE.

Yesterday, May 17th, a rally was held on 6th avenue for Marriage Equality. Thousands of people flooded the streets in support. Speakers included our Governor Paterson, Mayor Michael Bloomberg, stars such as Cynthia Nixon and David Hyde Pierce, and the "every day" people - individuals in long-term, committed, loving, same sex relationships. 

They all had one things to say: it is TIME for Marriage Equality in New York. Marriage should not be a privilege, it should not be something that has to be earned. It is a RIGHT that is due to all citizens. 

I've read past articles and statements from you saying you are pro-marriage equality. And for that, I am so grateful. I just want to convince you that now is the time. If not now, then when?

I am not gay. I am a straight female living in New York city who is appalled time and time again by the discrimination my friends and family have seen. I know there are some people who will never be for same-sex marriage. And for some of those people, there is nothing we can do, as hard as we may try. I can also only hope that you will persuade others to make the right vote. We're not asking for much. We're only asking for what is due, finally. We've stayed quiet long enough.

I'm not asking for you to respond to this e-mail, though you are obviously welcome to. 

Thank you for taking out the time to read this. Thank you for listening, understanding, and thank you for your support. 

Maybe we'll see you in celebration come June.

All the best,
Kerrie Bond


I recieved this reply:

May 20, 2009

 

Dear Ms. Bond,

Thank you for writing to express your support for marriage equality in New York I wholeheartedly agree with you, and have been and continue to be an avid supporter of efforts to legalize marriage between couples of the same sex. I have co-sponsored same-sex marriage legislation each year there has been a bill introduced in the Senate.  

I will continue to push for passage of this important legislation, and look forward to working with Governor Paterson to build support for the same sex marriage legislation he recently introduced. Particularly in the wake of both Vermont and Iowa's passage of such legislation, I believe the state’s recognition of same-sex marriage will be the only way to create true legal, social, and fiscal equity for the LGBT community. The State of New York should be ensuring equal protections for all New York couples—regardless of the sex of the two partners. 

Thank you for writing, and please feel free to contact me at any time in the future regarding this or any other issue.

 

Sincerely, 

 

Liz Krueger

State Senator




This is encouraging, absolutely. But this is the city. This is not where our struggle is. I know many of my friends and people reading my blog are from Long Island, or boroughs outside of Manhattan. Please, I beg you, CALL OR EMAIL YOUR SENATOR. You can go to www.broadwayimpact.com to find out who it is. These are the people we need to convice - ESPECIALLY in Astoria and much of Queens. We have 24 days until the NY Senate votes on the gay marriage bill that was passed in the NY Assembly. Let us hold up equality when CA cannot. 

*K

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum