I'm not even totally sure how to begin this entry. I'm still ridiculously emotional from the whole night. (Which may possibly be because I'm hormonal this week, but either way...)

Well, to start off, Mike and I watched it all from the big screen in Times Square, which was actually pretty cool. Tovah Feldshuh was there for a hot minute and said some things. They broadcast the Creative Arts awards as well, which was very cool.

I'm really not sure what to say. For the first time in a while, I really have no big issue with the way things went down. I think the only thing that disappointed me was Hunter Bell not winning for Best Book. But, at the same time, I wasn't surprised by this. Had just been hopeful that the voters would jump off the Billy Elliot boat to award Hunter.

But where they did jump off the boat was the most surprising and one of the most joyous moments of the night for me. When they announced Tom Kitt for best score, I screamed, and then cried, and then sat in shock. I love Billy Elliot's score, I'm not saying I don't. But nothing has affected me the way the Next to Normal's score has. Not since I saw it as Feeling Electric back in 2005. I could not have been more ecstatic for Tom Kitt (who also took home Best Orchestrations, tying with Billy Elliot's Martin Koch).



The crowd, by the way, in Times Square was amazing. When Mike and I got there, we were 2 of maybe 30 people. But by the time the 8pm telecast came around, it was packed with eager people.

Anyway. Performance wise, the opening number was amazing. I cried from the minute I saw the Billy boys until the end. And Liza? What a crazy bitch. I love her. All of the performances were great - was so happy to see Angry Dance, though was a little put off by only having Trent dance it. Next to Normal was beautiful, Hair was inspiring (as always), and Rock of Ages was fucking badass. I couldn't get on board with West Side Story's choice... of all the show stopping numbers, why did they choose that? Found Shrek's to be lackluster as well... wish they had showcased the other cast members more.

Neil Patrick Harris was adorable, hysterical, divine, and my husband. All of that is true except for the last part. Anyway.

I was thrilled with Hair's win for Best Revival - it is one of the most invigorating things I've ever seen. I don't think anything else could resonate so powerfully 40 years later. Alice Ripley's win was a long time coming, so deserved, but holy shit did her speech scare me. (LOL) I haven't seen West Side Story, and was expecting Haydn Gwynne to take home Featured Actress, but Karen Olivo's speech absolutely broke my heart, and I was overjoyed for her like I knew her personally.

The minute Featured Actor in a Musical started, I stopped breathing. I held my head in my hands. And then they said Gregory Jbara, and I just burst into tears and screamed and kept crying and then cried some more. I know I seem biased. Maybe I am. Admittedly, I didn't see all of the nominees. (I was a serious slacker this year.) I saw Greg and David and I saw Will Swenson. Despite my love of the current production of Hair, I really disliked Swenson. I thought he was playing a caricature. Greg's performance in Billy Elliot was so subtly riveting and emotional. He managed to fight against some weak writing for his character and bring Billy's dad on a full journey. Not to mention he's been doing this for 25 years, and this was his first nomination. And now his first win. I honestly can't think of anyone I know who deserved it more. He's one of the most genuinely good guys I've ever met. I'm so happy to have him as a friend, to have him in my life at all. It's a huge blessing. He's immensely talented. His speech was classy to the max, especially bringing his wife up there with him. I couldn't be any happier if I tried.

And, of course, seeing the three boys win for Billy was a beautiful moment. What that must have felt like for them... I can't even imagine. And I whole heartedly believe that Billy Elliot deserved Best Musical. I love Next to Normal, but I don't think anything on Broadway really compared to Billy Elliot this year. It is completely groundbreaking and epic and gorgeous. Just because it's popular doesn't mean it's underserving (for once).

It was a really great night. Being surrounded by the hundreds of hundreds of people in Times Square was inspiring. The Tonys were, and always are, inspiring. One day I'll be there. Somehow.

That's the end of my sappy talk.

Congrats to everyone involved.

*K


2 comments:

    On June 8, 2009 at 8:20 PM Anonymous said...

    Instead of saying anything relevant... I shall note something funny that I noticed: "I held my hands in my head."

    LOL.

     

    Oh thats... weird... gee, I don't see anything like that now. Wow, you must be crazy.

    ...

     

Post a Comment

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum